Objective 7 - To contribute towards the requirements of The Well- being of Future Generations (Wales) Act.
‘Have your say’
Where are we now?
From April 2016 each public body is required to carry out sustainable development and work towards goals set out within the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act. Within the Act, “sustainable development” means the process of improving the economic, social, environmental and cultural well-being of Wales.
We already make a conscious effort to ensure that what we do is sustainable and benefits our communities; however, we are now required to be part of a bigger picture.
What are we planning to do and why?
We will ensure that we support and contribute towards the well-being goals set out within the Act, which are as follows:-
- A prosperous Wales.
- A resilient Wales.
- A healthier Wales
- A more equal Wales.
- A Wales of cohesive communities.
- A Wales of vibrant culture and thriving Welsh language.
- A globally responsible Wales.
In accordance with the requirements of the Act, we are required to contribute towards improving the well-being of mid and west Wales in order to ensure that the needs of the present are met without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs (the sustainable development principle).
The legislation has been developed with the intention to make sustainable development the central organising principle for the Welsh Government and public bodies in Wales and we will support this.
How and when are we going to deliver this?
- We will set and publish well-being objectives that are designed to maximise our contribution to the achievement of the well-being goals.
- We will also publish a statement explaining how the objectives will contribute to the achievement of the well-being goals.
- During 2016/17 we will specify the period of time within which we expect to meet the objectives and this will be done either at organisational level or in collaboration with partners on the Public Service Boards.
How will we measure success?
We will measure progress against the national indicators for the well-being goals set by Welsh Ministers.
What will this mean to you?
A better future for Wales.