Objective 12 - To improve the way we resolve operational incidents through innovation and the use of new technology.
Where are we now?
Whilst we have always responded positively to the changing environment in which
we operate and adapted in order to meet new challenges as they arise, new innovations and technological advances in recent years have provided us with the potential to greatly enhance and improve the way we deliver our services in the future.
We have already embraced this philosophy, through the introduction of e-draulic cutting equipment, which has improved operator safety and capability in responding to entrapments; the use of unmanned aerial vehicles to support operations; and command and control and the Cold Cut extinguishing system currently under trial. However, we want to explore further options.
What are we planning to do and why?
- We want to further identify how changes in equipment design, operating techniques and new innovation can enhance and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of services we provide to the public.
- We want to reduce the impact of our firefighting and rescue operations on the environment by using our resources more efficiently.
- We want to ensure we provide our firefighters with training, equipment, techniques and processes which enable them to operate safely and effectively.
How and when are we going to deliver this?
Throughout 2017/2018, we will:
How we will measure success?
- Monitor and review the effectiveness of our techniques, processes and equipment.
- Explore all opportunities to learn from and collaborate with our partners.
- Engage in research and development which looks both across and beyond the UK Fire sector for ideas and solutions.
- Research new developments in technology and processes and conduct assessments and trials accordingly.
What will this mean to you?
- Monitoring and disseminate the outcomes of reviews, investigations and debriefs.
- Collect performance management data.
- Gather evidence of improved outcomes at operational incidents and exercises captured through the operational learning system.
- Monitor and report our performance in line with the Welsh Government’s Programme of Sustainability (Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015).
Engaging with new technology and innovation will allow us to introduce changes and enhancements to help improve the safety of our firefighters; improve the efficiency and outcomes of operational incidents; reduce the impact of our business and our emergency operations on the environment; and expand and enhance the learning environment for our staff.
Which Well-being goals does this objective align to?