Objective 6 - Further develop the findings of the Services Risk Review and Strategic Assessment.
Where are we now?
Within last year’s Annual Improvment Plan (2016/2017) we achieved two significant
- A Strategic Assessment of external factors that have the potential to impact on our Service in the future - this includes focus areas such as the economy, demographic shifts, the ageing population, spatial development plans and risk profiling etc.
- A Service Review of our core functions which involved a ‘root and branch’ examination of our Service to identify key areas for improvement incorporating a strategic Risk Review.
Both pieces of research work will now enable us to make risk-based and evidence- led future decisions, thus identifying key improvement areas across our organisation.
It is considered that there are four logical phases to the Risk Review process:
- Phase 1 - Data collection, analysis and intelligence gathering – completed in 2016/2017.
- Phase 2 - Options development - 2017/2018.
- Phase 3 - Implementation - from 2018 onwards.
- Phase 4 - Continuous Improvement and Evaluation.
What are we planning to do and why?
We are now planning to undertake Phase 2 of this work and begin to develop scenarios and significant options based on the evidence we collected and analysed within Phase 1. It is important that we apply professional judgement to this information in order to ensure true intelligence development.
Our work will involve making improvements within most functions within the Service as we maximise efficiency and ensure that we match our resources to the risks prevailing in our communities.
By accurately identifying the risks faced by our communities and matching our resources to these risks, we will be able to ensure that we continue to provide excellent value for money for the communities we serve.
Our communities will be better informed on the risks that we face now and in the coming years. Our communities will also be reassured that we are providing best value as our resources are commensurate to the risks across our area.
How and when are we going to deliver this?
The development of options will take place within the 2017/2018 year, informing our decision-making from 2018 onwards.
How we will measure success?
Wherever possible we will adopt a process whereby we will:
- Model potential scenarios and fully utilise gathered intelligence to maximise success potential.
- Conduct pilots and/or trials to establish the optimum way forward.
- Implement agreed objectives.
- Evaluate the outcomes.
- Adopt a continuous improvement methodology.
What will this mean to you?
This work will ensure that we are as efficient and effective as possible in delivering future services to the public.
Which Well-being goals does this objective align to?