Objective 9 - To invest in our people.
Where are we now?
In 2015 the Service achieved Investors in People (IIP) Gold and aims to maintain this
level of accreditation. We have frameworks in place to ensure that the measure of acquisition, application and maintenance of skills and competencies are correct.
We are proud that our employees are achieving qualifications aligned to National Occupational Standards across professional standards.
In early 2015 we carried out a Cultural Audit which provided vital feedback from our employees about the Individual Development Review (IDR) process and how this supports individual and organisational development needs.
We have embraced the new e-learning method which is currently being used to complement any learning and development needs identified.
What are we planning to do and why?
How and when are we going to deliver this?
- Take account of current and emerging legislation impacting upon the services we provide, in particular the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 and the Equality Act 2010.
- Ensure all our Staff have the correct skills and knowledge to deliver the best possible outcomes.
- Provide our staff with the best equipment and development opportunities to ensure the safety of our employees and the communities they serve.
- Maintain and improve on our IIP success to ensure that internal and external stakeholders recognise the commitment we are making to people and organisational development.
- Review our Organisational Development Pathways to ensure that they deliver effective and efficient learning and development opportunities.
How will we measure success?
- Embed a learning culture that will meet the current and future needs of our Service as part of refreshing our Strategic Pathways and refining our IDR process during 2017/2018.
- Explore all opportunities to learn from and collaborate with our partners and stakeholders (during 2017/2018).
- Ensure our research and development function looks beyond the UK Fire Sector for future innovative solutions; a continuous process over the next 5 years.
- Ensure that Risk Critical skills and competencies accurately reflect the risk profiles of our Communities as part of Objective 4 and 6 in 2016/2017.
- Audit the Risk Critical Skills Matrix and PDR pro to ensure compliance with requirements including links with the organisational pathways;
- Use the IIP Framework to evaluate the impact of coaching has had within the organisation;
- Use evaluation to demonstrate how we used innovation to deliver better outcomes for our Communities;
- Use business intelligence to inform improvement in Emergency Response and Community Safety.
What will this mean to you?
- Increased job satisfaction and morale among employees;
- More motivated workers which in turn will increase productivity;
- Employees who know they are competent and therefore feel more confident, self-assured and valued;
- Lower overall employee turnover and less absenteeism;
- Employees that require less supervision and who need less detailed instructions;
- Employees who are better equipped to adapt to changes and challenges;
- Enhanced Service image as employees will feel that this is a good place to work.
Which Well-being goals does this objective align to?