Objective 12 - To develop our operational technology, and improve the way we resolve operational incidents through innovation and the use of new technology.
Where are we now?
Whilst we have always responded positively to the changing environment in which we operate and adapted in order to meet new challenges as they arise, new innovations and technological advances in recent years have provided us with the potential to greatly enhance and improve the way we deliver our services in the future.
We have already embraced this philosophy, through the introduction of e-draulic cutting equipment, which has improved operator safety and capability in responding to entrapments; the use of unmanned aerial vehicles to support operations; and command and control and the Cold Cut extinguishing system currently under trial. However, we want to explore further options, to continually improve our delivery of services within the operational environment through the use of new technology and innovation.
What are we planning to do and why?
During 2018/19 we will engage with technical advancements within the field of engineering to:
- We want to further identify how changes in equipment design, operating techniques and innovation can enhance and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of services we provide to the public.
- We want to reduce the impact of our firefighting and rescue operations on the environment by using our resources more efficiently.
- We want to ensure we provide our firefighters with training, equipment, techniques and processes which enable them to operate safely and effectively.
How and when are we going to deliver this?
Throughout 2018/2019, we will:
- Explore all opportunities to learn from and collaborate with our partners.
- Engage in research and development which looks both across and beyond the UK Fire sector for ideas and solutions.
- Monitor and review the effectiveness of our techniques, processes and equipment.
- Research new developments in technology and processes and conduct assessments and trials accordingly.
How we will measure success?
What will this mean to you?
- Monitor and disseminate the outcomes of reviews, investigations and debriefs.
- Collect, analyse and assess performance management data.
- Gather evidence of improved outcomes at operational incidents and exercises captured through the operational learning system.
- Monitor and report our performance in line with the Welsh Government’s Programme of Sustainability (Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015).
Engaging with new technology and innovation will allow us to introduce changes and enhancements to help improve the safety of our firefighters; improve the efficiency and outcomes of operational incidents; reduced the impact of our business and our emergency operations on the environment; and expand and enhance the learning environment for our staff.
Which Well-being goals does this objective align to?