Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service enforces general fire safety legislation on behalf of the Mid and West Wales Fire Authority. The legislation the Authority enforces includes:

  1. The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

  2. Health and Safety at Work Etc. Act 1974

  3. The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (occupied premises).

Our Enforcement Policy Statement is based on the principles of ‘Better Regulation’ contained in the Regulators Compliance Code​ and sets out the approach the Authority will take to enforce the legislation.  It will be used in conjunction with guidance issued by the Westminster and Welsh Government and other relevant government departments.

Do you rent out a property in Wales?

Landlords and agents are now required by law to be registered or licenced. A new law -The Housing (Wales) Act 2014 - has been introduced in Wales which applies to all landlords and agents of private residential property. If you own, rent out, manage and/or live in a rented property then this law will impact on you.

Are you a landlord?

If the answer is YES to all the following questions you will need to register as a landlord:

  • Do you own a residential property that you don’t live in?
  • Do you let someone else live in it?
  • Do you receive money for them living there?

Registration is quick and easy. It can be done online at  or by phoning 03000133344 to request a paper form.

Do you manage a rental property?

If the answer is YES to any of the following questions you will need to apply for a licence:

  • Are you a landlord who self-manages your property?
  • Are you an agent who lets and manages properties on behalf of landlords?
  • Are you a friend, family member or associate of a landlord who looks after their property for them?

You can apply for a licence online at or you can phone 03000133344.

For further details please go to