Chinese New Year - Safety First
Celebrate Chinese New Year Safely
Are you planning on celebrating the Chinese New Year? Taking place on Saturday 25th January, it’s the longest and most important celebration in the Chinese calendar.
It’s a time to celebrate the end of an old year and the beginning of a new one, and traditionally this involves cooking a special meal for family and friends. Whilst this is great, cooking whilst entertaining, increases the risk of fire in the home.
We want you to enjoy, but more importantly, we want you to be safe!
By taking just a few simple precautions you can greatly reduce the risk of fire:
- Keep candles out of reach of children and animals – never leave candles burning whilst unattended. Keep candles a safe distance from soft furnishings and decorations - same applies for loose clothing.
- Never leave cooking unattended. When cooking deep-fried food, dry it before you put it in the hot oil. If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave the pan to cool. Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil and NEVER throw water over the pan.
- Treat fireworks with great caution – we always recommend attending organised firework displays. But if purchasing your own, please take a further look at our advice on our website
- Avoid using Chinese lanterns. The floating lanterns can look spectacular in the night sky, but they can pose a fire risk if they come into into contact with combustible material such as grassland, crops or buildings. The debris from the lanterns is also a hazard to wildlife .
- Working smoke alarms SAVE LIVES. Test yours one a week, to ensure they are in good working order.
Book a Safe & Well Visit
If you haven’t already, book yourself a Safe & Well visit. These visits are carried out with our Community Fire Safety team, to provide home fire safety advice and will supply and install a smoke alarm free of charge. Call 0800 169 1234 to book your Safe & Well visit TODAY.
Alternatively, please complete our online form.
If you have a defective alarm which was installed by the Fire & Rescue service, please contact 0800 169 1234 for a replacement or e.mail email@example.com