During the summer, grass and mountains can become very dry, which means if you deliberately or accidentally start a fire outdoors it will spread very quickly, destroying everything in its path. The damage to the surrounding landscape and the effect on historic features, habitats and wildlife largely goes unrecognised.
Wildfires / Open fires
- Do not leave fires unattended.
- It should be downwind, at least 10m from the tent.
- Build a stack that will collapse inwards whilst burning.
- Make sure that fires are fully extinguished after use.
- Clear dry vegetation leaves etc to form a circle of earth around the fire.
- Make sure that any embers being caught by the wind are not landing on other peoples’ tents or caravans.