Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service is urging the public to think twice about the necessity of burning their waste and, instead, to dispose of their rubbish responsibly at local authority waste disposal sites.
Key Safety Advice
If it is essential to burn your rubbish and garden waste in a bonfire, then please follow these simple rules that are advocated by the National Fire Chiefs Council:
- Firstly, is it necessary?
- If it is necessary, then bonfires should be sited well away from buildings, fences, trees and
- garden buildings and structures.
- If possible, the burning of garden rubbish should take place within a garden incinerator. The garden incinerator should be placed on an even and non-combustible surface, such as a patio slab.
- DO NOT use flammable liquids or accelerants to start the bonfire.
- The bonfire should always be supervised.
- A means to control the bonfire should be at hand e.g. a garden hose.
- Always check local laws/bylaws to check you comply.
- In the event of an emergency, you should always call 999.