As the temperature rises, the summer is a great time to enjoy your garden and people will be spending more time in paddling pools and hot tubs.
- Never leave your child unattended around water. Children can drown in as little as 2cm of water
- Always watch children when they are in or around water
- Keep young children within arm’s reach of an adult
- Empty paddling pools, containers, buckets and watering cans, as soon as they have been used – the water from a paddling pool can be used to water the garden.
- Always turn paddling pools and containers upside down once empty, so they do not collect water
- Securely cover all hot tubs and home spas as soon as possible after use
- Make sure older children are accompanied every time when they swim or use hot tubs
- Install a strong mesh grill on top of ponds, it needs to be strong enough to support a child’s weight without dropping below the surface of the water.
- Always turn hosepipes off at the tap, so children cannot fill vessels themselves
For more advice and guidance visit: